Saturday, February 4, 2012

We made it!

We spent nearly 30 hours traveling, mercifully, Herself and I were able to sleep on the way over. My initial impression of China and the Chinese is pretty favorable. One distinct difference that sticks out is that Asian people I think are more used to crowds and jostling than us Round Eyes. I get wacked by a suitcase and turn to see who did it and the perp doesn't even turn around; I think "jerk", but when I whack someone and I apologize, they still don't turn around, so maybe that's just part of the culture. I spent a good deal of time on one flight next to a fellow with his elbow stuck into my ribs till I finally shoved him back over on his side of the armrest, he seemed completely unoffended.
Another thing that I found that I appreciate, is the lack of the "nanny state." Near as I can tell, you are on your own as far as taking care of your self. You want to do something stupid? Go right ahead! On the airplane I saw people walking around during take off. Once a guy was standing up digging around in the overhead compartment for something right during take off, when here comes the skinny little stewardess. "he's in trouble," I thought, but no, she squeezed right passed him and smiled at him. In the states, they probably would throw you off the plane if you tried that. 




They have a lot of "freedoms" concerning driving, as well. Our taxi driver was completely unconcerned with things such as seat belts, speed limits, turn signals,multible lane changes, and adherence to rules about stop lights. Also, when you are straddling the dotted line and someone approaches you and blasts on the horn in order to get you to move over, the American thing to do is say, Oh, No, and get out of the way; apparently, over here they feel no such compulsion!  In simpler terms, they drive like my brother.
Attached is photo of construction going on right outside my window. Just like I like it! 
Well, I'm going to go see if I can scare up breakfast, more later as time permits.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Thanks for taking the time to post. It sounds like you will have plenty of blog material while there. BTW you picture was censored and all we see is a picture of Mao Tse Tung.