Saturday, February 18, 2012

China Blog #11

Wedding and Reception:

I don't have a lot to say about the wedding: it was a wedding, and like most weddings, they got wedded.  It was unusual in a few ways though.  It was bilingual, with an interpreter, and it was barely above freezing in the church, as it has no heating at all, even though it is a brand new church building. It was, in fact, warmer outside than inside.  Right after the wedding, it was really nice to go stand in the sun, even though it was a little breezy, it was still better than being inside that big refrigerator.  Those poor bridesmaids!  I set up a little radiant heater behind them, but I inadvertently set the timer and it shut off halfway through the service. 
The whole week before the wedding I was pretty fascinated with Jonathon's level of involvement in the wedding.  I kept commenting about my own wedding: I worked out of town the entire week previous to the wedding like always and just showed up Saturday and said "I do".  Jonathon, on the other hand, was perpetually on the phone,running around getting things, etc, etc, doing things for preparations.  He was very fun to watch, he seems a guy that can make things happen; an admiral trait in my eyes.  If fact, that was the high light of my trip was to see that Michaela was marrying a truly good guy, and a cool one at that.  I don't know why, but I just had no expectations of liking him as much as I did at the end of the week.
Back to the wedding, I have to hand to my in-laws; they did most of the cooking in toaster ovens.  Including all the cakes!


Brand new church.


Herself: My beautiful bridesmaid (well, more matron than maid...)

Ben, the pastor that married them was a really cool guy that ran an orphanage that Jonathon and Michaela worked for.


I couldn't resist taking a picture of this little awesome truck.  It was dumping coal on the other side of the church parking lot.  They hold an unbelievable amount of weight and are very versatile. 

The girls after the wedding

Reception

cakes

more cakes

Rolls and Spanakopita
attempting to stay warm right before wedding


Herself made the centerpieces

Anglo kids singing "This is the Day" in Chinese.  Too cute!
 mí y mi bella esposa ...

Aww, Sisters

No comments: