Saturday, March 12, 2011

stout fella-ism

I once read a book called "Beau Geste" that is a young adult novel written about three brothers that join the Foreign Legion. It was a great story; full of adventure and suspense, and it was written in 1924, I think, so it is full of things that our society no longer emphasizes: namely, manly character traits like loyalty, fidelity, and in general "doing the honorable thing." In other words, things that Godly men should exhibit. I would say that it helped shape my childhood, but I was an adult, married with children by the first time I read it; my mother-in-law recommended it to me.
In this book, the youngest brother at an early age, exhibits one of these manly character traits that was thought to be beyond his age, and his brothers praise him for being a "Stout Fella." For some reason, that really stuck with me, so that is a phrase we use in our own house.
This is something that I desire for my own boys; it has nothing to do with size or shape of my sons, only to be courageous in facing difficultly, to be decisive, to be honorable, to be selflessly trust worthy to their peers. I use that phrase to describe them, to praise them when I see them behaving in a way that I want to reinforce. The other day I was so impressed with something Isaiah did (sadly don't even remember what it was) that I was praising him for it. After the hugging and backslapping was over, I felt a tug on my pants, I looked down to see Stu looking up at me earnestly. He said "am I a 'tout fella, too, daddy?" Yes, Stu, you are certainly on your way to "stout-fella-hood". I can't wait to unleash the arrows from my quiver on the world.

I thought a couple of pictures of them would be appropriate for time stamp...
I like this one for Stu, he's a blur most of the time, anyway. The only way you can get him to hold still for a picture is to get everyone to laugh at him, even if what he is doing isn't funny, he will maintain it until the laughter stops.
Here is Isaiah, number 3 kid, and number one Cracker-Boy, the sincere, Stout-fella child.

No comments: