Sunday, March 13, 2011

my recipe for ham...

I had a successful attempt at cooking food today, and I want to share it with the world, and chronicle it for my own future use, as I am terrible at remembering stuff like this. The above ham was prepared by Yours Truly. Let me give a little rundown of some of the details:
  1. stake out area not too close to house
  2. buy 10 hog panels and 100 bond-beam concrete blocks
  3. buy 2 piglets
  4. feed and water piglets
  5. repeat #4 every day for five-six months.
  6. butcher big hogs
  7. put room temperature ham in smoker around 7:00 am before church
  8. provide enough smoke for about 3 to 4 hours
  9. continue to cook at 225 degrees, but after 5 hours, cover with foil, *note: ham was at 140 degrees
  10. continue to cook at 225 degrees for 3 more hours, *note: ham was at 160 degrees
  11. continue to cook at 225 degrees for 1 more hour, * note: ham was at 170 degrees
  12. feed to children in order to get this look here:

So, as you can see, with only 12 simple steps (and about 6 months), you too could have a delicious ham for supper! While there could be much debate wheather or not I cooked it too long, smoked it too much or not enough, the end result is that my family tore into it.

I'll be perfectly honest, part of the reason I'm writing this is to gloat a little about something that most people couldn't care less about: (so I'm hoping it won't come across as too offensive), the whole backyard to table food source thing, you know. Its just a lot of fun for me; I'm just sorry I'm off my feed enough to not want to eat much tonight. From what the kids and Wifey says, I think it was a success.

No comments: