Thursday, January 1, 2015

Hog butchering

The weekend before last our friends, the Falls and us Fosters butchered 2 hogs. We were going to three, but we quickly realized that we could only manage two of them because they were so monstrously large. I had just procrastinated butchering, because I just so badly didn't want to do it in the heat. So I just kept feeding them and kept feeding them. Most people butcher at the 225 to 250 pound range,  but we couldn't weigh the first one because my scales only go up to 400 pounds! We skinned and gutted him,  and if I remember correctly, then he weighed 390! What a beast! I didn't weigh anything else, but I just smoked the bacon Saturday after brining them for a week, and I had just under 40 pounds of bacon (pre-smoked).
Here are a few pictures of our fun. 

We skinned the first one, then scraped the second.


This is one mammoth Pork Chop, the "rind" still on. 

Pork-Belly, after it had brined for a week.

All chopped up, ready to smoke.

Bacon, in the smoker.

Sliced Bacon! Ready to cook.