Thursday, November 6, 2008

american children

After the trip home from church wed. night; all four of my kids (ages 7 to 1) were either asleep or pretending to be asleep and trying not to smile while faking it. In one of my rare moments of compassion and consideration for my children I decided that i would just go ahead and carry them in whether they were really asleep or not. As I made the fourth trip out to the van after the last child, I had kind of a flashback moment to a similar experience of being carried by my parents my own youth.

I remember the drowsy, delicious feeling of having no real responsibility, even for my very self; that I could just continue to "slump" and that someone would put me where I belonged and I could trust that those in charge would take care of me. Then I realized that the same feeling must of washed over more than half of Americans earlier that same day when they opened their newspapers. Think about it... Subtle, huh?

2 comments:

Andrew Hawkinson said...

Astute, very astute.

(P.S. ... I carried mine in too.)

Daniel Foster said...

Steve, I looked at your profile and saw that you are from Down Under. (also very well travelled, so this might be stating the obvious) But I assume that you dont follow US politics very closely; since it is almost torture to follow it myself. In a nutshell, (to me) republicans just want to be left alone, without much gov control. Dems want the government to be in charge of nearly everything, mostly so that they can feel like if they have less money than others (read "lazy"), then they dont have to worry, they will still get Federal tax "rebates" which are just a handout to people who never paid out any tax in the first place, actually paid out by businesses and people who actually work their tails off to be successful and productive, instead of relying on "big brother" to make sure they are comfortable. I guess you can read which side of it I come in on. But to answer your question, yes, the posting was about Obama and his "wealth redistibution", as he calls it, and the needed "correction of the founding fathers mistakes". I actually avoid much of this kind of dialog, so sorry if I have bored you. I enjoyed reading your travel blog, BTW... sounds like fun.