Saturday, September 19, 2015

House Make-Over (or: "What Herself wants, Herself gets...)

So, on July 23, 2013, our roof, siding, and several windows got totaled from the hail storm.  We received a pretty decent settlement check for the damages, and Herself says "It seems like it would be a lot more fun to watch you roof a really steep house rather than this not steep one; why don't you just make this house a lot steeper? And while you are at it, I always like houses with big overhangs and soffits."  Well, as most of you all know, what Herself wants, Herself pretty much gets.  So we went from a 3/12 pitch to a 7/12 pitch, and from a 12" soffit to a 36" soffit.  Well, it maybe wasn't exactly like that, but she's the idea person; I'm just the laborer.  But as I think you will see, since it needed re-done anyway, we upgraded some of it.  And I hope my jibing my wife is recognized as good natured fun...

This picture was taken in July of 2014
January of 2015; new windows already in.



February of 2015


March 2015

Masonry completed! Yay!

I thought it would be easier to build dormers on the ground, inside than on the roof.  So I decided to build them in the shed, then install them later.





Sided, painted, wrapped, and ready to go!

The hand-off!  Tricky, when your doing by yourself.

...No dormers...

...One dormer...

...Two dormers...

...Two dormers, completed with roof.
Finally, very near completion.  Gable sided, gutters on, (not quite completed) and I'm building the shutters and hinges this weekend.

...and continuing around the corner...

3 comments:

Anne said...

Looks great! Your wife is a smart woman, she has the ideas and you have the muscle?

Daniel Foster said...

That's right! She spends a lot of time dreaming about what she likes, then spends a LOT of time on Pinterest, pinning stuff so she can show me specifically what it is that she likes. (I need pictures)

Jason Zimmerman said...

Looks like a good project. Are the gutters copper?

It reminds me of 2007 to 2008 when I designed and GC'd construction of our house. We put in a lot of sweat equity!