Sunday, September 13, 2015

Family Crest


This is an idea that has been rattling around in my head for a while: a family crest, and a name for the Foster Farmlet.  I put the idea together, Herself drew it, then I found a freelance artist to clean it up just a little and really round it out.  Here is a run down on the symbolism:

Ivy: Symbolic of eternal life
Thistle: Symbolic of my Scottish heritage 
Fleur-de-lis: Symbolic of Herself's French heritage  
Ram: front and center, the lamb of God

Herself has recently commented that it seems that we shouldn't really feel that we have to refer to our place as a "farmlet" anymore, now that we've successfully had hundreds of pounds of live-weight newborn animals of nearly every imaginable edible species produced, albeit, in small quantities. So,
I am particularly proud of the new name of our farm, The Thistle and Lily, as I always enjoy a good double meaning.  The Thistle, while being symbolic of my family's ancestry, also seems rather appropriate in describing myself, since I have been described as "a little Prickly".  And while the Fleur-de-lis (which translates as "Flower of the Lily") is emblematic of Herself's ancestry, does "Lily" not do an excellent job of describing her?  Is she not quite the alluring, natural attraction? So you have the name of the farm describing the two families coming together, and yet at the same time describing specifically Herself and I.

It pleases me.  I don't know why; but it pleases me.

You might ask, "How does this change your life on a daily basis? Or does it change your life at all?"

It doesn't, not at all.  But it pleases me...





No comments: