Monday, October 13, 2014

Yellowstone Adventure, Part 7 (final)

We got up in the Hotel and only had 3 things to do on that Saturday: 1:Rushmore, 2:Crazy Horse, 3:Drive Home, no big deal right?  Right.

Rushmore was great, it was really interesting and impressive  but it was quite dimmed by the Crazy Horse project.  Crazy Horse is so interesting and amazing; we had no idea they had been working on it for so long, and if you don't know anything about it, its worth going to see even if you arent really on your way to anything close.  It is easily 10 times the size of Rushmore faces, probably more.  The really impressive thing about it is the guy and later his family that has headed the whole project since 1948 or so.  They are so dedicated to it that it has absorbed their whole lives! The dad died in 1982 without ever seeing even the face finished!  I can't recommend enough at least finding some articles and reading about it.  The carving itself is not so mind-blowingly awesome just yet; they still have 90% of it to carve, but they seem like they are gathering momentum now.  Anyway, some pics:
Trying to capture the expressions and positions...

Really?  Really, kids?  You think you are the first one to think about picking the really big nose?

weird boys...

Me and my Smokin' Hot Mama squinting, it was very bright.


In the white plaster is the "mock-up" the real deal is way in the background. 


Well, that is our Yellowstone adventure wrapped up; we made it home Saturday night just after midnight.  I drove about 60 hours, and just under 3000 miles and I never got pulled over except as I was pulling into my driveway at my office at around midnight.  He claimed I made a lane change without signaling.  I was so tired and sick of not being home, I was really frustrated with him, but managed to keep my mouth shut.  I think he felt my frustration and sent me along my way without a ticket.  I did think it was a little ironic, though...  I did fine, until I made it to Hutchinson...

It really did inspire me to travel more, though.  I told Herself that we will go for 2 weeks, but in 2 years to some more National Parks.  I think a motor home or an RV is the way to travel though.  Definitely not in a Honda Pilot!




No comments: