Tuesday, October 14, 2014

Another Apple Day

This year we actually had 2 smaller Apple Days; one a couple of months ago in August so that that Uncle Jonathon could experience making cider before he and Aunt Michaela left to go back to China. It worked out great because the neighbor's trees were ripe with apples and I had been driving by coveting them for weeks, seeing them just laying and rotting on the ground.  Then he offered once to let me have as many as I wanted; he didn't want them, so we made a short Apple Day out of it.
Not a great picture of Michaela, but Maddie is so cute!






Cutting out bad spots and worms.



Making the "Pomice"

Oiling the press with Food Grade Oil


Happy hogs!
Then in late September we had a more official Apple Day, but it was also a Half Apple Day, because we did it on a Sunday rather than a Saturday so that Aunt Arianna could be involved.  But we did more than just make cider.
Apple Turnovers, made by Mini Herself.


Prepping the basket

Nothing better than Fresh Pressed Cider!



Disaster!!
Then, disaster struck; the basket blew out from all the pressure of the press!  I patched it, but I have this thing against having to continually fix things so I have become disenchanted with this system.  I have begun working on a new system that will hopefully improve things and be more reliable.  Here are some early pictures.



It will look way different than the old one, but I hope it is a lot more effective.  It is air-over-hydraulic powered, instead of Dan powered, so it should be.  What I need is a way to keep the posts from rusting that doesn't use paint, because the platform will surely scrape it off as it goes up and down, therefore leaving paint chips in the cider.  Any ideas?