Sunday, November 10, 2013

Why do I do this to myself...

Sometimes I find my life really rewarding; sometimes I find it really overwhelming. I just came in from building 7 little 4X4 sheep pens around the places where I'm going to have fruit trees planted here sometime in the middle of the week.  The term "sheep pens" is something of a misnomer, though; they are going to keep the sheep out as the sheep like to eat small saplings and bark and leaves.  I spent all stinking afternoon out there, barely finishing before dark, and spent probably 25.00 per each on them, (yeah, not counting the stupid tree) between the panel fencing and the posts.  I bet I've planted (counting re-planting) close to 35-40 fruit/nut trees, not even counting the maples and Austrian Pines, and thus far received nearly nothing out any of them. So far, we've eating roughly 6 Apricots, 1 Peach, and maybe 5 Pears.  I've dumped Hundreds of dollars into these stupid trees.  I thought my turkey meat was expensive!

Someday, I'm certain, it's going to really pay off.  I'm sure that there will be a year that I'm going to have a lot of time on my hands, we will be close to starving, I've done a good job of taking care of the trees, it will have been a good wet year, there will be hardly any bugs, and there will be lots of fruit on them.  I will pick all this luscious fruit, can it, and we will all be full and happy and watch everybody else slowly starve to death around us, and we will just sit back and laugh and laugh and wonder at the cleverness of me...  Why else would one go to sooo much trouble just to have fruit or nut trees.  Jeez, it would be one thing if I had nothing else to do.

I think that I will issue a self imposed moratorium on fruit trees for my farmlet.  At least until I start reaping and benefiting from some of my labor.

No comments: