Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Summertime is upon us.

So Herself was busting my chops yesterday about not blogging; like so much of my life, I do it in bursts, rather than slow and steadily. We have had  quite a few changes around here since I blogged last, and I do need to catch up with chronicling some things.  Right before Jonathon and Michaela returned to China, Jonathon and I decided that I just needed to take the plunge and get some sheep.  That's fine and all, but what are sheep without fence? Somebody else's sheep, that's what.  So Jonathon and I proceed to create fence around the "back 40" of our place.  It was really fun to show Jonathon all the details of building fence that I learned as a boy: making (the visible part at least) really straight, posts uniform distance apart, and the same height, and actual fencing nice and tight. Oh, and corner posts really strong.  All of this was pretty foreign to him culturally, but made perfect sense to his personality.  He really got into it.  Unfortunately, we only got about 1/10th of it done while he was here; unfortunately for him, and unfortunately for me, as well.

Anyway, I got it done by myself; well, I had a lot of help from my kids.  Wifey encouraged me to take the kids with me, and I sort of thought that they wouldn't be that much help to build fence, but I was really amazed at how much help they really were to just have around.  That, and I have always found my own company exceedingly boring, so its always nice to have company.  But I got it completed after several weeks of obsessing about it every evening and all weekend long, and brought home 2 meat sheep that I bought from a friend.  I just bought what she had; one Katahdin, and one Dorper, both ewes. Then last week I threw the family in the truck and ran down to Ark City and bought a pair of lambs, one ewe lamb, and one Ram lamb; they are called Painted Desert Sheep. Here is a picture of my lamb's sire:
The coloration is different; mine is nearly all black, but the horn structure is what is impressive, so I thought I should show a picture of what he will look like rather than what he does look like.  The DPS's are also a hair sheep, so they don't need sheared, same as my other sheep. They are a meat sheep as well.

This weekend, I put a small gate into the back pasture area from the chicken pen so that the chickens could get out and forage in the pasture.  I always liked the idea of free range chickens, because it truly changes the taste and color of the eggs, but Herself has always been opposed to chicken poop all over the sidewalks and porches, (me too, actually) but couldn't bring myself to build pasture fence just for chickens, now they have it! They are really tearing up the bugs and greenery and loving it!

I was thinking about how hands off the sheep are; I don't need to feed them at all, when I got to thinking that I will have to feed them over the winter when all the weeds and grasses are dormant.  So I was considering planting a little area of wheat so that they can pasture it off in the winter and reduce my out-of-pocket expenses.  I had about given up on the idea, because I don't have the equipment to till the soil of that large of an area, nor do I have the motivation to till it with my rototiller or shovel, when I remembered that I have 5 little tilling machines!

They don't look like super motivated farm workers; I realize that.  But when I had them in my garden prior to planting it, they were sure little tilling machines! I've sectioned an area off and fenced it; but I really feel like I need a super duper good fencer to make sure they don't wander off into the neighbor's pasture, so I'm waiting to heal up a little from buying all the sheep before I make another farm oriented purchase before I turn them loose in my new little area. I think it will work out well; one doesn't plant wheat or rye until the fall, and I usually butcher the hogs around October, so it seems like it will work out swimmingly.  I am really interested in this concept of pasturing hogs, I could see this going somewhere.

The oldest boy is interested in turkeys; tonight we're going to do a little research to see which breed would be best fitted for our farmlet.

Oh, and by the way, the last batch of Root Beer turned out great!










1 comment:

mom said...

sounds like if you are not careful you might just become a real farmer!!! you know that is how we got started! have fun! love ya Mom