Saturday, March 23, 2013

Pigs, snow, garden, etc

We survived, and yes, even thrived through the record-breaking snow storm of  '13.  We lost power for a while, just long enough to feel like we wanted to hook up the generator that I had brought home in advance, just in case, but this made me realize that I need to figure out how to do that more efficiently.

Just for the record and for my own memory, we received 14" with one storm, over about 2 days, then another front moved through a day later and dumped another 6" on top of that, with little melting in between.  This was certainly more snow on the ground at once than I have ever seen.  Luckily, I had brought the Gehl tele-handler home from work and was able to strap on a reinforced piece or two of plywood and use it fairly well for a snow plow.  It really warmed my heart to see all us rural Americans busting out snowdrifts for ourselves and for our neighbors, with trucks, tractors, four wheelers, and forklifts. Most of us didn't have to get out, it wouldn't make any difference on a day like that, but I love seeing that independent American spirit of "I will get out, even if I don't have to get out."  
Somebody, some local farmer that I don't even know, just drove down the road with his big tractor and busted out the drifts in the driveways, and made a lap or two through everybody's driveway, just to pack it down so that people could at least have a chance at getting out.  He didn't attempt mine, probably because it's nearly a half mile long; he just broke through the entryway of the drive.  That's ok, we did just fine without it...

I also got a bunch more trees cut down out in the pasture; I may have mentioned how encouraged I am about it.  At this rate, I may have pasture before I am 90 years old! We burnt some colossal piles of brush, too.
Here are some pictures of our place that I took:









Above is a picture of a snow drift just outside of our driveway that is as high as my side mirrors of my pickup.  Glad I didn't have to bust through that one!

At that time we had no livestock at all, but now we are getting back into the swing of things.  We now have 30 chicks of a fryer/layer split, and 6 little piglets.

We went and got them from our friends the Kingsley's, who run the perfect little farm with nearly every imaginable farm animal on it. Sooo jealous! Sunday we got accidentally inspired and got the whole garden's old weeds pulled up (left from last years neglect because I built a shop loft instead) and then when I showed Brother in Law Jonathon my Roto-tiller, he was so taken with it, that he tilled the whole garden with it! Wednesday and Thursday, I planted Potatoes, radishes, onions, and beets.  No turnips, though; they couldn't be found anywhere in my town.  I looked at Westlake, Lowes, Walmart, and Home Depot!  I'm pretty sure it's a conspiracy; I'm just not real sure what the point is, though...

So we took advantage of some of the time we were "holed up" and made some German Sausage.  My two middle kids pictured here.  This I was able to pull off without barking at my kids or Wifey.  (See last post)
Finished product:





No comments: