Wednesday, July 16, 2008

the fulfillment of boy-hood dreams

One reason I enjoy construction work is that there are so many ample opportunities for fulfilling boyhood dreams, like running big pieces of equipment; cranes, forklifts, backhoes, and I even got to run the penultimate in construction equipment, (albeit briefly) a track-hoe. This morning was a new experience, and a good one. In a search for leaks on a certain city roof, I suggested that we abandon the sissy garden hose and bring over the fire truck to flood the metal roof. In less than 20 minutes, here came several of the city's Bravest, in stereotypical boyish-but-bored, waiting-for-something-exciting-to-happen fireman attitude. They pulled right up to the building, hooked up to the hydrant, and cut loose. This was great fun for all; er- at least all that knew what was going on. The firemen, with typical zeal and wanton lust for excitement didn't tell anyone that actually occupied the building what was going on. As we saw streams of telemarketers (headsets still attached) pouring from every fire escape, we only then realized that they thought their building was burning down around them. Not that I wish ill on anyone, but as they milled around catching up on what was going on, I did have to chuckle to myself and felt compelled to ask them "how do you like YOUR day getting interrupted" I refrained, of course, exercising my exemplary self-control as usual.

While the firemen selfishly didn't let me actually let me run the hose, I did take great pleasure in watching the 1200 gallon per minute hose blast water all over the roof, even clear over the ridge of the roof and down the other side. This also provided excitement, as the telemarketers figured that while they were shut down for a while they might as well go to their cars for a smoke. Let me just say that when they walk around, those who had left their windows down, well, they wished they hadn't. 1200 gallons per minute, baby!!! There were some very unhappy citizens that weren't too impressed with the local fire department today.

My fun was cut short by a sweltering trip in the crawl space between the metal roof and the old asphalt roof; and i use the term "space" quite loosely. Let it suffice to say that I was the obvious choice for the job due to my specific physical appearance, and leave it at that, other than to say I don't think that my dashing good looks had much to do with it. In an area that has no movement of air and in near triple digit temperature outside, it makes it very much triple digit temperature inside. I also learned that, disturbingly enough, that sheet metal can get hot enough that when pressed against bare skin that you can actually wonder "who is cooking what smells so delicious", before you realize that it is YOU cooking. That's alright, it was all worth it to be the guy responsible for interrupting a telemarketers day, then ruining it (and possibly some upholstery). I "heart "construction!!!

In regards to an earlier post mentioning that someone paid for my family's meal, I've had several people ask me if that really happened. I think I will save that for another day; it is sorta long, but kinda funny.

1 comment:

grandmafoster said...

I cant believe yhou donthave any comments on this one this one is one of my favorites. well I did say one of..... :) mom