Thursday, February 18, 2016

Still more butchering...

Lest I wear anyone out by regaling still more stories of butchering, let me preface this by saying, I'm almost done here with the whole butchering scene for a while.  But, boy did I finish a pretty strong run of 4 weekends in a row!  Here is the rundown: I started with two of Boy's rabbits, moved up to a large wether, then did the 2 hogs I blogged about last week, and then this last week I helped process a rather large, misbehaving cow that messed up bad enough to get on Dad's "Short-list," so to speak.

If you think about how the last 4 weeks has played out with each weekend's slaughtering growing by at least doubling the weight each time, I HAVE to stop, or find a bison, or an elephant... Here are a few pictures:

Nephew and I coming out of cooler.  It was a big job hanging it, even in 6 pieces...



This picture is really disturbing to me, and here's why:  when I look at myself in this picture, I just see  the spit and image of my dad.  That's not disturbing in itself; what is disturbing is, it actually looks just like my dad with an ever-growing BALD SPOT! Which my dad doesn't have, incidentally. And, if we got to counting, I'd bet dollars to doughnuts that I've got more grey hair than him, too!  Anyway, you can tell that we had brothers-in-law, nephews, a new friend, cousins, and last but certainly not least, fun.

I felt like it went really well for my first beef; (dad was still limping bad enough that he sat out; it wasn't HIS first beef) we had it skinned, gutted, quartered, and hung in a couple of hours. I didn't think that was too bad for a bunch of greenhorns.  We will let it age for a couple of weeks and then cut it down from there.

No comments: