Tuesday, September 23, 2014

Yellowstone adventure, part 1

We, the Fosters, are off to Yellowstone National Park. This too is a result of my impulsiveness; a story I won't go into, let it suffice to say today that many months ago I wrote it down on the calendar and made the proclamation to Herself (much to her surprise) what we were doing.  Partially to her surprise because I usually hate going anywhere at all, and partially because I volunteered to take a week off of work. And drive for 19 hours. With the kids. In a car... But similarly to The Hebrew Daniel's king Darius, I find it awfully difficult to go back on what I write in ink, especially on the calendar.
For the first leg of our trip, we went through Colorado Springs. Of course any time that we have something resembling an excuse to see our dear aunt and uncle in Colorado Springs, we jump at it. This time, though, it was with great trepidation that we went, because our aunt has cancer, and is not long for this world.  We hadn't seen them for a year, and the last time we saw them, the kids, unprepared by their negligent father, burst into tears after seeing her in the shape she was in, and that was a year ago... So we were a little uncertain of how they would react to her in her latest condition. I am proud to say that they took seeing someone they love on their death bed very poorly, but only after we left. Our aunt was hardly herself; but it was so encouraging at one point to see her rise from her bed, come join us at the kitchen table, and instruct our Oldest Girl to get some lotion and rub her arms and hands with it. She said she was doing this not for herself, but because it is good for young people to learn to be around sick people. That is Soooo our aunt: climbing out of her death bed, in order to make someone do something that will enrich their life. I almost laughed out loud at that, it was so quintessentially her. This picture of that experience is so cool, Wifey told me to shoot it, and I'm so glad I did. Oldest Girl also painted her nails; she wanted "sparklies" on her nails like Oldest Girl, but alas, we had none. 


The real encouragement of this part of the trip was our uncle, quite capable, if initially unlikely, (since he had always been the care-receiver) in the role of caregiver of his wife. What a real stud! He does everything for her, and in the complete absence of any drama, with good humor and good natured jibes along the way. 

We left there at 5:45 the next morning, each of us with nerves raw with the realization that we would never see her on this earth again. It was quite painful; and as we pulled away from their home in the dark and each of us prayed aloud for them both, there was an abundance of sniffling noses, quiet sobs, and tears. I've said it before, but I'll say it again, these two are my heros. 

In the midst of all these tears, I asked my kids if they were glad that we came, and all responded with an overwhelming "yes!"

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing this. Aunt Mim, If you are reading this, we love you with all our heart!

Becky

grandmafoster said...

this is so Grace! reminds me of when I had my second knee surgery and Grace stayed with me. she slept on the floor beside me and when I woke up needing something to eat when I took a pain pill. she was said I will get it grandma and up and in the kitchen severing me! and would lay on the bed rubbing my knee any time I needed it!!! Such a gift from the Lord. love you guys!